Excerpts from an interesting blog
“HAL HF 24 Marut “Spirit of the Tempest” by: Kurt Tank”
Fulcrum: Yeah, i know that is why i shared this with you all..
Funny thing that it should have “all-natural metal” finish.. no camo.. but it saves in weight, make performance better, as like US 8. airforce stopped painting the B-17s they were 500kgs lighter..
Fulcrum: Nobody seems to be intrested in this fine aircraft..
At least nobody hasn’t post anything exept Jetsetter..
Well i am.. interested.. i think it is cool looking, but under estimated..
It is also only REAL COMBAT AIRCRAFT build by HAL.. (Indians, Hindustan..) That they have designed by themselfs..
With kind assistance of Kurt Tank..
At least until the LCA enters service, IF IT DOES..
MIGs and JAGUARs or GNATs and AJEETs werent designed in India.. not really..
HAL HF-24 Marut was, one fine piece of work!
Seekerof: Lets see…..
1) its ugly
2) India’s first indegenius fighter aircraft and Asia’s first supersonic fighter.
3) Couldn’t be improved very much further than shown due to lack of suitable powerplants. The Marut was very under-powered.
4) The rate of production of the Hal HF-24 Marut was very slow thanks to militant unions who would go beserk and on strike if the workers had to do any work!
5) In the 1965 War, Marut’s was suposedly shot down by a F-104 Starfighter.
6) India hadn’t developed a serious fighter aircraft for over 30 years, since the Marut. The LCA is the first since.
7) It was known as a good ground attack aircraft.
8) The Marut was not an air-superiority weapon.
9) In short….the Marut project was quite a good program, given how extensively the cards were stacked against it at the start.
10) I give it a 7 out of 10.
1) It really isnt ugly.. no way..
5) During 1965 war there was only 1 HF-24 “operational”.. the prototype? And somehow i cant image transsonic Marut fighting and winning the 2,5 mach F-104.. if things appeared to go “wrong way” for F-104 pilot he could easily just escape.. fly away..
10) As a weapon i would only give it 3/10 as it was not “air-superiority weapon” and to be effective as fighter-bomber the numbers just were to small..
With 3 squadrons one cant achieve much..
“Fulcrum; a member of AboveTopSecret.com”,and fellow members Jetsetter, Seekerof and Groingrinder discussing the Marut.